Saturday, January 3, 2009

A Child's Hope Foundation


Our family had the opportunity to go to Mexico and help at an orphanage. What an amazing experience! I am not sure that words can even express how fullfilling this was for our family. I was nervous that I would not be able to handle the situation, because I have a very soft spot in my heart for children or families in need. It is easy to send money, or talk about how sad it is, but to actually make the sacrifice to go and work and see first hand is an entirely different feeling. The first day, I was standing in the playground and from across the playground a young girl came up and wrapped her arms around me. I had to hold back my tears...it was not just a little hug, but instead a hug I would get from my own child. Another day, I decided to spend in the nursery with the infants and toddlers. I left there crying as well. Not because they were not taking care of them, but because of how excited they were just to be held. Paige and Jesse spent hours with the orphans...Jesse actually was confused for one of them more than once. I took quite a few photos, but this certain once captured my heart. This is what it was all about to me...unity!

4 comments:

The Lawn Ranger's Woman said...

What an awesome experience. They were lucky to have the James Farm Gang...I hear that family is the best :)

Marci said...

Hi Jodi, I saw your blog address on Mackenzie's wall on facebook and thought I would check it out. what a great photographer you are. And what an experience! So fun to catch up!

ps loved your post about lifes lessons too. You are so positive, way to look at that bummer experience as a time to learn something meaningful! love your idea about the quote too.

Jenny said...

I saw Keith and Beth a little before Christmas, and they said you guys were going on this trip to work on the orphanage. I am sure that was an amazing experience. I served my mission in Honduras and Belize, and worked in one in Belize, and can relate to some of the feelings you were expressing. It is indeed an experience to love them and to feel their love. They are starving for it. Thanks for sharing your experience!

Jen Proffit said...

Seriously I want to do this with our family next year. What a great experience and I can't think of better lessons to teach your children then thru service. Thanks for the update. I did totally miss seeing you guys at the farm though. We'll be heading up there this summer though. Do you want to do the triathlon with us this year at the DX Ranch? It'd be fun to get a big group together. Let me know....